HomeAncestorsAbout UsFamily PhotosFamily NewsdocumentsContact Us

Historical and Biographical Sketch of the Schlegel, Slagle, Slagel, Slegel and Slogel Family

Origin:
The distinguished name of Schlegel, Slagle, etc… is derived from the German word, meaning a mallet, beater, drumstick, racket or battledore. Two very early representatives of this family were Herman Der Schlagel, who lived abut 1299, and Werner zem Schlegel, who lived in 1828,in Basel Switzerland.

Early in the 18th century, many inhabitants of the Lower Palatinate lying on both sides of the Rhine River in Germany were driver from their homes by the persecution of Louis XVI of France, whose armies desolated their country. Many of these fugitives went to England and some were bound for America.

At the courthouse in Philadelphia there was recorded a list of Palatines who with their families were imported on the “Billinder Townsend”, Thomas Thompson, Master, October 5, 1737. These Palatines did on that day and year above mentioned, take the usual oaths and qualifications to the Government. In said list appears the name of Johannas Schlegel. From 1737 until the end of the American Revolution, there are records of colonial pioneers bearing the Schlegel, Slagle etc surnames. There are records of Christoph, Erhard, Ernest and George Adam Schlegel. For a more detailed list see “Pennsylvania German Pioneers” by Strassburger and Hinke.

Families bearing the surname of Schlegel or Slagle are found at early dates in our Colonial and Revolutionary War history. The following is a partial list Schlegel, Slagle, etc. progenitors taken from the records of early American history, some of whom served in our Continental Army. For a more complete list see such works as “Pennsylvania Archives” etc. The names are as follows Jacob Frederick and Henry Slegel, Christian and John Schlegle.

The progeny of the various branches of the family in America have removed to many parts of the United States and have contributed substantially to the furtherance of American civilization. The record of the Schlegel, Slagle etc. family in America is that of a sturdy, energetic and industrious race. Members of the family have attained particular distinction in the field of science, scholarship and law and literature.

According to the well-known records of Rev. John Casper Stover, Heinrich Schlaegel was born in July 1735 and was baptized Nov. 5, 1735. His father was Christoph Schlaegel of Canewago, Pennsylvania, who came to Pennsylvania in 1710-1711.

Fredrick Schlegel was an early missionary in America. His son, John Frederick Schlegel, married Anna Rosina Mack in 1785. She was born in 1761 in Pachgatgach, The Indian Mission in New York. John Fredrick and his wife did fine missionary work on the Island of St Thomas. He died in 1805.

Magdelene von Schlegel married Henry Botinger, who lived in York Co, PA. Their son George Michael Botinger, born in 1756, was one of the famous Kentucky Pioneers. See “Life of Botinger”, by D. Dandridge.

Col. Henry Schlegel or Slagle was born in Lancaster, PA, in 1735. His father Christopher Slagle of Saxony, came to Penn. in 1713, and on the following year took a tract of land on Canestaga Creek and built a mill. In 1737 he moved west of the Susquehanna near what is now Hanover, Adams Co., PA on Slagle’s Run, a branch of the Little Conewago River. The other children in the family were Daniel, Jacob and Christopher. Henry Schlegel was a miller. He played an important part in the colonial government and in the government of the new country after the Revolution. He was one of the principle magistrates, commissioned in October 1764 and continued in this capacity until 1776. In December 1774 he served on a committee of inspection for York Co, PA. He took part in the Revolution, commanding a battalion of Associates in 1779. He was member of the Provincial Conference of June 16, 1776, and the subsequent convention of July 15. He was appointed by the assembly, Dec. 16, 1777, to take subscriptions for the Continental loan. Nov 22, 1777, he acted as one of the commissioners meeting at New Haven to regulate the price of commodities in the colonies. He represented York Co. in the General Assembly of 1777-79. He was appointed sub-lieutenant of the County March 30, 1781. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1789-90 and was commissioned by Gov. Mifflin, one of the Associate Judges of York Co., Aug 17, 1791, continuing in the position during the organization of Adams Co. He represented Adams Co. in the Legislative sessions of 1801-02. He died in his residence near Hanover, and buried in the graveyard adjoining St Mathew’s Lutheran Church.

Margaret Slagle, daughter of Jacob Slagle and sister of Col Henry Schlegel of Revolutionary fame, married Jacob Eyster in 1780. Her oldest son, Jacob Eyster, became a Brigadier General in 1814.

Hon. Jacob Slagle was born in Augusta Co, VA, Sept. 26 1810, the son of George Slagle of Lancaster, PA and Catherine (Kainer) Slagle. His father located in Virginia in 1772 and died there April 21, 1828. He was a tanner by trade, also conducted a distillery and ran a mill and farmed. He had twelve children, of whom Joseph was the youngest. Joseph attended Charlottesville College and then studied for the ministry. In 1827 he went to Richmond but had to return home in 1828 at his father’s death. The family went to Ohio, and Joseph stayed with them eight years, going in 1829 to Missouri, where he settled in Livingston Co. He sold merchandise in Cox’s Mill and some time later bought some mills on Medicine Creek. He was in the milling business until 1869. In 1846 he was elected to the official bench of the country, and for many years was Justice of the Peace. For four years he traveled through the West and on his return bought a farm on Cream Ridge, where he stayed until he moved to town in 1883. He married, Jan. 27, 1832, Catherine Long of Ohio, who died July 6, 1841. He had a son, Columbus Genoa, who became a physician of Minneapolis and a college professor. He married (2) Nov. 22, 1843, Catherine Stone of Grayson Co, W.VA. who died in 1844. He married (3) March 5, 1845, Sarah Littlepage, who died in 1846. By her he had a daughter, Susan Catherine, who married William H Turner. He married in 1848 his (4) fourth wife, a Miss Crawford, daughter of Mason Crawford of Hancock Co, ILL, who died in 1849. He married (5) in 1869, Mrs. Lottie P Ellis of Indiana, by whom he had a son, Joseph Lee.

George W Slagle was born in Kanawha Co, W VA, Dec 9, 1811, the son of John and Margaret L (Erwin) Slagle. His parents came to Ross Co, Ohio, and later, moved to Green Co. George got a common school education and worked for the family on the farm until 1891. He married, Sept 8, 1831, Martha Long of Augusta Co, VA. Their children were: Leander, Peter L, Margaret, (m, Jeremiah Heffelfinger), John H, Aaron R, (d.1880, left a widow and two children), Martha J, (m. Horace Hoxie(a), Mary S, (m. William Whery), George B, William W and Emma J (m. Henry Jerken). After his marriage George leased a portion of his father’s farm, spending summers clearing it and winters working at the carpenter’s trade. In 1840 he moved to Lake Twp., Allen Co, Indiana, and from there to Smith Twp. where he bought fifty acres and built a home. Since then he extended his holdings to 76 acres. He was a brick and stone mason as well as a farmer.

Edgar Slagle was born on Willow Grove Farm, Adams Co, PA, on April 6, 1824 the son of Michael and Eliza (Weaver) Slagle. His father, a farmer was born in Adams Co, PA. Edgar in 1842 became a clerk at Duncannon Iron Works, Perry Co, PA. and remained there until 1850. In 1852 he and Samuel Shirk started a hardware business in Hanover. He retired in1879 after a long and successful career. He married, in 1856, Anna E Shriver, daughter of Henry and Lydia Schriver. Their children were: Calvin S, Ida E, Mary L and Edgar. He was a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster in 1879, and from the theological seminary in Lancaster, 1882. He married in 1882, Kate Apple, daughter of Rev. Dr. Thomas Apple, President of Franklin and Marshall College.

George B Slagle, son of George W Slagle mention above, was born in Smith Twp., Allen Co, Indiana, Dec 8, 1849, and worked for his father until he came of age. On Dec 4, 1870, he married Mary E Donaldson of Wood Co, Ohio, the daughter of Hiram and Margaret (Kennedy) Donaldson. There children were: Charles W. and Walter W. After his marriage George operated his father’s farm for a year and then moved to Wood Co, Ohio, the same year, and sold a farm he already owned there. He returned to Smith Twp. and bought a farm of 80 acres.

Charles W Slagle, merchant and philanthropist, was born March 11, 1828, in Hanover, PA. He became a successful merchant of Baltimore, Maryland.

Joseph Schlegel emigrated to Virginia in 1808?? and settled in Winchester, where he was a merchant for thirty years. He was a soldier in a company of riflemen in the War of 1812, under Capt. Roberts. He was married in 1814, Margaret Spangler, the daughter of Surveyor-General and State Treasurer of PA. They had six children, of whom a son, Henry was the only surviving at the time of this account. He was also a merchant. For fifteen years he was a member of the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Association, and in 1888 was elected President of the Shenandoah Valley National Bank.

Philip Schlegel, of the same family as the philosopher Schlegel, lived at the ortschaft of Papanau, near the line between Baden and Wurtemburg. He was a miller. He was an advocate of free government for the people, and instilled these principles in his son, Michael, and Phillip (b.1798). Michael was one of the revolutionist of 1848. Their property was confiscated and several Schlegels fled to Strasberg, where many of their descendants still live. Michael moved to America, while Phillip, a miller, inherited part of the homestead and located in Dietlingen, Pfortsheim, Baden. He married Wilhelmina Burgle. Several of his children came to America.

A son, William Schlegel, married Catherine Koehler, daughter of Jonannes Koehler, and came to this country in 1892. Their children were: Anna Mary, (m. David P Humes, and had three children) Caroline R, (m. Nicholas Jenney, had two children), William died young, John P, (m.Elizabeth McBride), had three children). Another son Lorentz lived in Wilmington Del. had no descendants. Another son, Christian, came to this country in July 1851 and located in Newark NJ. He was a jeweler, having learned the tread in Pfortsheim Baden. He served two years in the Civil War, was in the Battle of Bull Run, and was discharged in Baltimore for disability. He returned to Newark and married Frederica Wilhemina Hohweiler, daughter of Jacob Frederick and Catherin (Bewer) Hohweiler of Baden, Germany. Their children were: Charles W, b.Jun 8, 1880, Robert P , Mina b. Oct 12, 1858, m. Frank Tremner, Caroline b. Sept 1, 1860, m. Otto Scholz, Herman b. Dec 31, 1863, Edward, b. March 23, 1866, died October 1889.

Christina, a daughter of Philip Schlegel, came to this country, married William Theis, settled in Philadelphia and had three children. Another daughter, Caroline, married John Schneider, located in Wilmington, Del. and had a son Christopher who lived in Philadelphia. Another son of Philip, Christopher, came over and located with his brother William in PA and died in the Wilmington. George Frederick, another son who came to America, enlisted in the Union Army and was never heard from again. Edward came over, died unmarried. John enlisted in the Union Army and soon afterward returned to Germany. He married there and returned to this country in 1880, settled in Wilmington. Florinda married and stayed in Germany. Charles W came over and married Elizabeth Puerschner, daughter of George and Catherine (Jung) Puerschner of Sullivan Co, New York. Their children were: Willis E, b. Feb 14, 1875, Edward L, b. June 5, 187? d. 1896, Charles Philip b. Jan 10, 1889, Clara G b. Feb, 7, 1894. died in infancy.

Robert P Schlegel, son of Lorentz and Frederica Hahweiler Schlegel, (see above) was born in the family home, Walnut Street, Newark, NJ. He was educated at the New Jersey Business College. He entered the office of the City Surveyor in 1870, where he worked for two years without pay, and then until 1876 with pay. In 1876 he was in charge of the work of the Commission of Assessments, appointed by the Circuit Court. He served in this capacity for all the Commissions, furnishing all maps until 1892, when a permanent board was appointed. In 1890 the Tax Board appointed him Chief Surveyor. He was instrumental in putting through a law compelling people to register deeds in the City Hall as well as at the Register Office. This change resulted in much greater efficiency. When the county board was formed for equalizing taxes, he was called on for maps, data, etc. In 1894 he was appointed as a surveyor to divide the city into wards and districts.

Jacob Slagle, miller, was born in North Cumberland Co, PA in 1825, and came in 1865 to Stephenson Co, IL, where he bought 160 acres. He became the owner of the Rock Run Mill, between Rock City and Davis, which was built in1854 by Catherine Epley. He married in 1860, Catherin Guist of PA. His children were: Laura Alice, b. Feb 20, 1862. d. Feb 25, 1876, Dora Hester, b. July 6, 1876, Walter Grant, b. Nov 12, 1872, Jacob enlisted in the PA Battalian Jun 1864, and served for six months.

-----------

From Our Family Tree...

James P Slagle was born Nov 22, 1828, in Henry Co. Western Tennessee, the son of Jacob and Frances (Dunlap) Slagle. His grandparents emigrated from Virginia to Polk Co. MO, and his parents were born in Kentucky, his father in 1796 and his mother in 1801. They moved in 1820 to Mississippi, and from there to Henry Co., TN where his father farmed for twelve years. Then the family moved to what is now Polk Co, MO, eight miles south of Bolivar. Jacob Slagle served in a company fighting the Indians, and died on the home place in 1851. James P Slagle was the sixth of eight children. He married in 1855, Barbara Barham of Kentucky, was born in 1833. Their children were: William F., Alice E., Benjamin E., Fannie B., Charles C., Wade H., Ella C. and Emma V., the last two being twins. James P. Slagle was elected Judge of Looney Twp. in 1873, but before taking his seat, he found that the Twp. organization system had just been repealed by the Legislature. At the General Election of 1888 he was elected Associate Judge of East District of Polk Co. His home was near Slagle, Looney Twp. Missouri.

---------

Bernard Wolf Slagle, clergyman, born in Washington, PA, Dec 27, 1832, the son of Jacob and Martha (McKemey) Slagle. He received his education at Washington College, Washington, PA, receiving the degree of A.M. He studied at Defiance College, Ohio, and received the deg of D.D. He married Margaretta Vowell, Oct 30, 1862.

George Slagle came from Virginia about 1834 with a family of six children and settled on the Buford Survey, Highland Co, where he died in 1843. He had the following children: Mary C, Eli Hugh, Jacob R., Nancy E., Aseneth and Esther. Jacob and Eli were in the Civil War. Jacob was taken prisioner and died in Cahaba Prison. Eli inherited his father’s farm and live there. Mary C Slagle married Jesse Estlack and moved to Iowa. Nancy married Lewis Kratzer and lived in Brown Co., Ohio. Esther married Thomas Williamson of Iowa.

Peter Slagle was born August 20, 1825, in Jefferson Co, PA, son of Benjamin Slagle. He married Gemima Geist of Worthville. Their children were: Elizabeth who married Thomas Simonds, a linotype operator, Brooklyn, James F, who for seventeen years was a National League ballplayer, married and died in Chicago, Arthur D who worked for the Wabash Railroad Co, Cleveland, and a daughter Jessie, who married (1) James Allen Carrier, who died Jan 29, 1905, and (2) Dr. Alverdi J Simpson, Peter Slagle was a shoemaker, lumberman and farmer. He served in the Civil War.

Jacob Frederick Slagle, born in PA, became a major in the Union Army during the Civil War.

B.F. Schlegel was born in North Cumberland Co, PA, Feb 3, 1840, the son of Peter and Susannah (Bohnwr) Schlegel of PA. His parental grandfather served in the Revolution. B.F. Schlegel, at 17, went to Erie Co, PA, where he worked at farm labor until 1861, when he enlisted for three months in Company E, 8th Ohio Vols. Inf. He returned home and reenlisted in Co. H. 46th Reg. Pa. Vols. He was in the battle of Winchester, Cedar Mountain, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Peachtree Creek and in Sherman’s march. He became a First Sergeant. After the close of the War he went to Ohio, and the following spring to Nebraska, where he stayed for two years in Dakota Co. After extensive traveling he chose Kenesaw, Adams Co, Nebraska, as his home, and bought a farm out from town. In 1888 he removed to town and bought a hardware business in partnership with S.H. Smith. In 1867 he married Eliza Combs of Ohio, who died in 1868. He married (2) in 1871, Rosa A Reed of PA, and had a son and three daughters. He has been Treasurer of Kenesaw Twp. and a member of the Kenesaw Building and Improvement Association. He was also on the School Board.

Peter L Slagle was born July 6, 1845, in Greene Co, Ohio, the son of George W and Martha (Long) Slagle. His father was a Virginia, and moved in 1843 to Wheatly Co, Iowa. Peter brought up in Ohio and Indiana. At the age of 17 he was apprenticed to a saddler and harness maker. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. D. 11th Minn. Vol. Inf., and was in the Battle of Nashville. He had gone to Minn. in 1853 and got a homestead with is father-in-law, Francis Crabb. He remained in Minnesota until 1869, when he went to Algona, Iowa, and rented some land. Then he bought a tract of uncleared land in Irvington Twp. and built a slab house. He married in 1858, Sara Crabb. His children were: Charles H, Elmer H, Frank H, George H, and Walden H. In Algona he followed his trade as saddler and harness maker.

F.H. Slagle, son of Peter L Slagle, was born in Goodhue Co, Minn., March 13, 1865. He was a small child when the family moved to Irvington Twp. and built there. After six years his father moved to Algona, where he farmed and carried on his trade of harness making. He died in February 1909. F.H. Slagle was taught at home and eventually spent three years teaching county schools. Then he attended college in York, Nebraska, and Cornell College, Mt Vernon, Iowa, graduating in 1891. He taught in Nebraska and Iowa and altogether was in education work for 25 years. For for years of that time he was County Supt. of Schools, and for four years was a Government teacher in the Philippines. He returned in 1907. Beginning in 1909 he was in the real estate business. He married in 1908, Carrie Kingsley, and has one daughter, Cirila. His brother, Elmer H, was a railroad mail clerk at St. Paul. George H died young, and Walden H lived in Algona, IL.

Henry C Schlegel was born in Aszler, Prussia, August 31, 1843, the son of Henry and Margaret (Busch) Schlegel. Henry senior enlisted at 19 in the Prussian Army and served three years. He then farmed for eleven years on an estate. In 1838 he married Margaret Busch. In 1852 he came to his country, settling in Penna., and from there went in 1854 to Madison Co, Indiana, near Chesterfield. In 1860 he moved to Delaware Co, and died October 27, 1872. Henry went to school in Germany and at the age of 8 came to this country and lived with the family of Tobia Martin, working for his board and clothing. After a time he returned to his parents but continued to work out. He married, at 20, Laura Jane Myers, born in Madison Co., Ind. On May 31, 1849, he located on the farm of Solomon Myers. He farmed in the summer and taught school in the winter. He bought a farm of 80 acres, which he extended to 128 acres, in Salem Twp., Delaware Co. He specialized in raising cattle. His son, William H Schlegel was born Dec 29, 1864. He attended school until he was 21, then taught school. For two terms he attended school of Hartsville, and two terms Valparaiso Normal School. He married May Davenport, daughter of William and Cassandra Davenport of Henry Co. He became the owner of a farm in Salem Twp. His children were: Carl Leslie and Chester Dean. His brother, Elmer Schlegel, was born April 26, 1866, married, March 20, 1889, Martha Stewart, daughter of John and Mary Stewart. They had a daughter, Bertha Blanche. Elmer Schlegel owned a farm in Salem Twp. Another brother, John Calvin was born March 21, 1872. He remained in school until he was 19, and then became a county school teacher. A sister, Mary Florence, born March 15, 1872, attended the Normal School at Valparaiso for one term and started teaching at 19. She had to give it up on account of her health.

William J Schlegel was born in Waterbury Conn. Dec. 28, 1853, the son of Balthis and Rosina Schlegel. When he finished his schooling he entered real estate business, in which he continued all his life. He married Feb 6, 1870, Mary J Lewis of Waterbury, daughter of Edward C Lewis. His children were: Lucy Edwina, Wilfred B., and Harriett Hattie, who married Ernest Arthur Anderson. William Schlegel died May 10, 1906. His son Wilfred, entered the real estate business. He was born in Waterbury, Conn. Dec 13, 1885, and entered Yale Law School. At his father’s death in 1906, he had to return home and take charge of the real estate business. He became owner of the business in 1908. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Yale Alumnae Assoc. and the Yale Club of New York City.

Two Mennonite bishops named Joseph Schlegel were famous in the history of that church. Joseph Schlegel of Milford, Nebraska, was born in Alcase France, and came to America in 1867. Another, Joseph Schlegel, of Flanagan, IL, Hartford, Kansas and Hydra Okla., was born in Tazewell Co, IL in 1847. He was the son of Bishop Christian Schlegle and son is in the ministry. Another son, Joseph is a deacon.

Herman J Schlegel was born May 10, 1863 at Fond du Lac, Wis., the son of Julius and Margaret (Benner) Schlegle of Germany, who came over in the early 1850’s. They located in Fond du Lac, and in 1868 went to Ouytagamie Co. Mr Schlegel was a sheet metal worker. He opened a shop in de Pere which he carried on until his death in 1897. The other children in the family were: Alvin M., in Minn., Edward of de Pere, Wis., and Emma. Herman J Schlegel studied in the public schools of Appleton, and took up the trade of metal work. Later he went into the business in partnership with a Mr. Huetter, in the hardware business. In 1899 he opened a sheet metal shop in Appleton. He invented the “Badger” washing machine. in 1888 he married Louise Kramer, who died in Oct 6, 1897. Be her he had one son who died in 1911. He married (2) in 1898, Marie Dominske of Appleton, by whom he had one son.

Robert Lincoln Slagle was born in Hanover, York Co, PA, March 17, 1865, the son of William Augustus and Margaret Elizabeth (Stine) Slagle. He attended Lafayette College, Easton PA, receiving a degree in B.A. in 1887. He received the degree of M.A. in 1890 from Lafayette College and Ph.D in 1894 from Johns Hopkins Univ. For a year he was Analyst and Food Investigator of New York City associated with Prof. W.O. Atwater, the first pure food expert with the Federal Government. Beginning in 1895 he was a teacher and educational administrator. He was Professor of Chemistry in South Dakota State School of Mines. In 1899 he was elected President of that Institution. In 1906 he returned to South Dakota State College, where he was President until 1914. He was then installed as President of the State College of South Dakota, at Vermillion. He is considered expert in educational matters. He married, May 28, 1896, in St. Paul, Minn., Gertrude Anna Riemann, daughter of Paul Riemann. He is a member of the S.A.R., a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a member of the Phi Beta Kappa. His ancestors were among the first German settlers of PA in colonial times.

Dow E Slagle was born in Buffalo Valley, Tenn. Sept 8, 1872. He attended Washington Academy. He became a bookkeeper, and was County Trustee for four years. In 1920 he was supervisor of the Federal Census, and for one term was Deputy State Fire Marshall. He is an active member in the Democratic Party. He married Miss Sallie Williams.

Charles Eyster Slagle, physician and surgeon was born in Oregan, IL, July 10, 1870, the son of Charles and Malinda (Eyster) Slagle. He married Anna Shoop of Addington, IL.

Henry E. Schlegel, physician and surgeon was born in Le Sueur, Minn. May 19, 1874, the son of Charles E and Josephine (Linden) Schlegel. He was educated at the St. Paul’s College, St. Paul Park, Minn. He also attended Medical Dept. of Hamlin Univ., Minn., receiving the degree of M.D. and C.M. 1897. He married June 6, 1900, Gracde Evelyn Clark, at Redwood Falls. MN.

Gustav Von Schlegel, painter, was born in St. Louis in 1877. He was a pupil of Robert Koehler in Minneapolis, Carl Marr in Munich and Laurens in Paris. His work is represented in the St. Louis Artists’ Guild.

John Schlegel was born June 26, 1880, near Abilene, Dickinson Co, Kansas, the son of Leonard and Mary (Tischususer) Schlegel. He married June 26, 1906, Ethel E. Freeman. He moved to California in 1887. He was educated at the Los Angeles State Normal School and the Univ. of Southern California Law School, graduated with the degree of LLD. He was admitted in the bar in California in Los Angeles, July 1909, and has had practice in Los Angeles since that time. Before that he was principal of various schools in California.

A brief mention should be made of some European representatives of this family. August Wilhelm von Schlegel, the famous German philosopher and man of letters, lived in 1767 to 1845. Friedrich Carl Wilhelm von Schlegel, German orientalist, philologist, poet and critic, was born in 1772 and died in 1829. His wife was Dorthea Friedrike Schlegel, born 1763, died 1839, the daughter of Moses Mendelssohn. Johan Adam Schlegel, German theologian, lived from 1721 to 1793. Johann Elias Schlegel, German dramatist, poet and critic, lived from 1719 to 1749. Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel, a German historian, was born in 1722 and died in 1829. Johann Rudolph Schlegel, a German schooman, lived from 1729 to 1790.

The Family Coat of Arms
According to Rietstap’s Armoral General, the Coat-Of-Arms of the Schlegel, Slagle, etc. family is as follows:
Armoral Coat: Field gules containing three mallets arg.
Explanation and Description of the Symbols and Coloring of the Above.
Armoral Coat: The hammer and mallets are honorable bearings, and represent the artisan.
Gules of red denotes military fortitude and magnanimity. It is also the color of the Martyrs.
Arg. or Argent white or silver, signifies peace and sincerity.

Bibliography
Rietstap: Armorial General
Knittle, Walter: Early Palatine Emigration
Strassburger and Hinke: Penna. German Pioneers
Dr. Dandridge: Life of Bitinger
Hyamson: Index of Biographical Reference.